Thursday, January 17, 2013

recipes and puppet show!

Here's what happened on our homestead today:

1.  I made chocolate chip banana nut bread.
(Not pictured, sorry.)

2.  I made chocolate chip pecan scones.
(Pictured below.)

 This was an experimental batch...so I wasn't going for pretty.
I just wanted to see how they tasted.
My OH my.
REALLY super delicious.
Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!!


Lori's Chocolate Chip Pecan Scones

2 1/4 Cup All-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-grain flour
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup mini-chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup half & half

Whisk together dry ingredients.  Cut-in butter with pastry cutter (or food precessor) until butter
is in slightly small pieces.  Add chocolate chips and pecans.
In separate bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, and half & half.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix, just until combined.
Put dough onto floured parchment paper.
Separate into two balls, roll into 6" circles.
Put in freezer for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Remove circles from freezer, cut into wedges & separate just a bit.
Brush with milk.
Bake for around 16 minutes.

Put on the coffee cause, it's SCONE TIME!


****

3.  I highlighted and cut my mom's hair.

4.  I talked to my friend Angela for 47 minutes on the phone.
(It made me so happy!)

5.  I decided to go with an Asian theme for dinner.

So, I whipped up some Crab Rangoon for a side dish.


Crab Rangoon

 1 package cream cheese
1 can of drained crab meat
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chopped chives (optional)

Mix everything then add to wonton wrappers (one teaspoon each.)
Seal sides tightly with water.

They were so super easy to assemble!



They were sooooo delicious, but I'll tell ya, they were an awful mess to fry.
All heck broke loose, literally.
Well, most of them held together fine.
They are worth making, for sure.
About once every 2 1/2 months or so...and not a minute sooner.



And if all that wasn't enough,
I gave Lucy the idea that she could make some puppets with some of
the contents in her craft box.

Then I gave her the idea that she could make a puppet-show "stage"
out of a piece of poster-board we had stashed in a closet.

Then she put K-Man to work to create her "stage" because I gave up on it hours before.
And because Lucy's wish is ALWAYS his demand,
he did it for her right away.





And a puppet show ensued!







Super fun stuff.
Super fun day!!!


I'm so very, very tired.


Good-bye.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Oh, I have loved your blog from the beginning, but have especially loved your recipes and inspiration for healthier cooking! Cooking is my love language, but being a busy mom, I sometimes get burned out cooking for 3 boys and a hungry dad. Thanks for the inspiration. A few nights ago, I made the whole grain waffles with wheat flour - yumm! And then my youngest son & I made egg rolls. I actually baked mine and they were great. I'm trying to get inspired to bake bread more often, but your gorgeous loaves intimidate me! Thanks for your great posts - they never fail to make my day!

Susan said...

Hi Lori, I was thinking about making your scones, but I don't see how many eggs to use. If you don't mind, could you let me know? I wrote down a few of your other recipes too! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...