Monday, September 16, 2013

Orange Chicken

Having an arsenal of quick and easy go-to meals is essential in a large family.
Swinging by McD's with the whole crew just isn't an option, at least not for us!
Because even the cheapest of fast-food places, are still expensive.
(Not to mention so unhealthy in every way!)


So here is an easy dish that is semi-homemade.
Heavy on the semi.


Orange Chicken with Broccoli!



Here's what you'll need:

Orange Sauce (recipe below)
Steamed white rice 
(don't skimp on quality here...you gotta have delicious sticky white rice!)
Frozen Broccoli
Popcorn Chicken

Yes, that's right.
Store-bought popcorn chicken.
Judge me, if you must.
(If you have some homemade, well you are way on top of things, now aren't you?)



As I was walking out to my freezer to take the above picture of frozen chicken,
I saw  my chickens in the driveway.  I just thought that was ironic.
Although, there are always chickens in my driveway.
And on my front porch, in my garage, under my car...you get the idea.


ORANGE SAUCE!

Sesame oil
Garlic clove
Orange zest
 Orange juice 
Chinese vinegar
Soy sauce
Honey
Garlic Chili sauce
Water
Corn starch


In a saucepan, warm about one tablespoon of sesame oil with one garlic clove.
Add the zest of one orange, and the juice of one orange.
Let that simmer for a few minutes.
Add honey (about 1/4 cup...depending on how sweet you like your sauce),
1/4 cup Chinese vinegar (rice wine vinegar will suffice if you don't have something more exotic!),
1/4 cup of soy sauce, and about 1 tsp. of garlic chili sauce.
Now.
As you know, I don't measure anything!  So all of the above is approximate.
Add more or less as you see fit.
Let all that simmer for a short bit.
In a separate bowl, add about two tablespoons of cornstarch to 1/2 cup cold water.
Mix well and add to simmering orange sauce.
Blend and let simmer until thickened just a bit.
(Remove from heat until you are ready for it so it doesn't get too thick!)
Give it a taste!
If you need more of anything, add it now.
(Toss out the garlic clove.)


Steam some broccoli.
Fry or bake your chicken.

Then plate it all up with your sauce poured over the chicken! 






It's super yummy!

3 comments:

Karin said...

YUM!!!! Looks so yummy! Thanks you for sharing. :)

ourchinagirls said...

So what kind of rice do you use for sticky rice and how do you cook it...as in recipe please! I make rice but it is never sticky!

Vicky said...

Do you bottle the orange sauce? If so, I order it for our next meal, otherwise it will be the boneless skinless chicken tenders with ranch or italian dressing cooked in the crockpot!

Love quick and easy! I cooked tonight although some would not call what I do cooking! Lasagna from Costco! The girls loved it!

Love the sticky rice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...