Friday, January 4, 2013

easy-peasy tortillas!

About about a year ago I saved up and bought myself a tortilla press.
It really is a good thing.

Except, the tortilla recipes I was making I wasn't overly thrilled with,
and I ended up buying store-bought.
And though they were very tasty...as far as store-bought goes,
I was still insanely unsettled by buying them vs. MAKING them.

So then I put a little more effort into finding a good recipe.
AND I took a good look into what was IN the store-bought tortillas.
BLAH!!




Then I found a new recipe that I absolutely love!
They're almost a cross between pita & a tortilla.  And I love that.

Here's the recipe (source):

Soft Flour Tortillas!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon instant yeast

Combine all ingredients, beat at high speed to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.

Place in greased bowl, cover and let rest for 30 minutes.

Divide dough into 12 pieces.

Heat skillet fairly hot.

Roll each piece very flat.

Place on hot skillet until it starts to bubble, flip over.
They cook fairly fast, so it's nice to have a small adorable Chinese girl helping you.


They come out positively beautifully and so VERY yummy.




I put this stack in the freezer and I was thrilled to discover that they
froze individually, even in a stack.  I was able to pull out the amount I needed
instead of thawing them all.
 It's a tortilla miracle!


Only problem was,
I wasn't able to use my tortilla maker.
Since there's not a lot of fat in the recipe, they stuck like crazy to it.

But that's okay!
I love that there's hardly any fat.
And that there's not 356 ingredients that I can't pronounce.


My family loved these for tacos.

Then I used them as pizza crusts to make the kids
Alfredo pizza!
Which they DEVOURED.


Another delicious way to make something homemade
instead of buying it at the store.

Score!

6 comments:

Joy said...

Those look good! I'm going to try it.

Donna said...

I'll have to try these! How long do they last and do you think they would freeze ok?? somehow I think they would be scarfed down before I'd have to worry about it.... haha
Have you read the blog 100 days of real food?? I think you would like it....

Connie J said...

oh my yummy! guess what we'll be having this weekend...

Chris said...

Gotta try that recipe

jen said...

Made these last night with 3 cups fresh ground white wheat/ 1 1/2 cup white flour (didn't realize I was out of white til it was too late to turn back) and they were a HIT! All gone of course. I'd prob have to quadruple the batch in order to have any to freeze!

Thanks! Keep the recipes and inspiration coming! : )

Cydil said...

Thank you for sharing this! We are moving overseas this summer and I'm already going into Mexican food withdrawal. Over Christmas I looked at tortilla presses, but it's nice to see that I can save the weight in my suitcase and make these in a regular skillet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...