Sunday, January 20, 2013

mini-cinnis!




Okay.
This is one yummy cinnamon roll recipe, friends.
And we're doing them up, mini-style!
But I am WAY tired as I'm posting this...so let's hope the enthusiasm that it deserves comes across clearly.



First off,
take one packet (or 2 1/2 teaspoons of dry active years, instant),
and put it into 1+ cup lukewarm water.
WITH 3 tablespoons of sugar (or honey!).


Let it "proof",
which totally isn't necessary for instant yeast...but I do it every single time anyway.
I just love to see my yeast/sugar poofy.
It helps me KNOW that everything will be okay to the end.

Add 6 tablespoons of room-temp unsalted butter.

Mix 3 cups high-quality all-purpose flour (or throw some whole wheat flour into the mix!),

1 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 cup dry milk, 1/2 cup potato flakes.

Throw all that into your mixer!
And knead away.
(Of course, you can knead it all by hand or in a bread machine.)



Then put it in a greased bowl/container.
(I use these handy-dandy tubs from Sam's ALL the time.  They are perfect for rising dough.)

Let it rise for about 1 hour, until doubled.

Then put it on a well-floured surface.
And fondle it a bit.
Believe me, you won't be able to resist.
It's soooo soft.
(I have such old-lady hands!  Hard-working hands, they are.)


Divide in half.

Roll it out into a long, narrow rectangle.
(Remember, we're making MINI rolls....so we need to keep it narrow.)

Brush with milk.
(This keeps all your innards from oozing out.)


Mix up,
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2+ teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons flour

Sprinkle half the filling mixture on your rolled dough.

Roll that sucker up into a neat and tidy roll.


Then cut into 20 little tiny slices,
and place in a greased mini-muffin pan.


Cover loosely with plastic wrap & a towel...and let rise for about 30-45 minutes.



Then bake for about 13 minutes at 375 degrees.
But watch closely!
They tend to bake quickly...you want them slightly browned.




Top with delicious vanilla glaze!





Here's the recap:
(Adapted from King Arthur Flour)

Dough:
2 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
1 cup warm water (use more if necessary)
3 cups all-purpose flour (use whole-grain flour as part of it!)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room-temp
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup dry milk
1/2 cup potato flakes 

Filling:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. flour
milk to brush on dough

Glaze:
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
4-5 tablespoons heavy cream (or milk)


I packaged it all up to sell at the coffee bar at church.
They were a hit!


Enjoy, ya'll!!


3 comments:

Natalie said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe.

Anete said...

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

quilt'n-mama said...

oh my, these are awesome! I made a huge batch this afternoon! Our little store in town discounts milk deeply when it is about to the "Sell by date"I always buy it and it either gets drank quickly in a house with 5 kids or I make bread with it! Quarts of milk were $.25 so I bought several gallons! Anyway, I adjusted your recipe and used milk instead of water & powdered milk. I also used Flax meal in them and 1 c. graham flour and 2 cups all purpose flour.
They turned out AMAZING!!!! The kids ate the whole pan this afternoon. Since I tripled the batch, I cut them small to fit in my mini pans and then froze them immediately. I think they will work great to pull out and drop in the pans at night before I go to bed- I'll cover them and put them in the fridge to do their last rise over night and have yummy treats for breakfast- warm mini-s from the oven!
Thanks again for the recipe, my children especially thank you!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...