Thursday, December 16, 2010

toot toot

Last night the girls and I took a tediously long trek
to Awana.

It was icy.

And I was stupid.

Why, oh why, would I try to brave such conditions?

Why?

Because Awana is THE highlight of Lucy's week.
She works so hard on her memory verses.
And more importantly (well, not really),
she gets to see her little friends.

And I will say this.

I am a darn good driver on the ice.
And most of those around me, are NOT.

It's true.

Perhaps it stems directly back to the fact that my sister
and I braved snow drifts the size of a sofa
in our '76 Pinto to get to Mrs. Jones' piano lessons.
On countless occasions.
Only because our mother made us.
(Not because we loved piano lessons)
It built character.
And impeccable driving skills.

Toot, toot, goes my own horn.

7 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

my kiddos LOVE AWANAs too. Glad you had a safe trip.

julie said...

Oh my gosh, Lori, I had a Pinto, too!!! It was a 1975, brown with orange pin-stripes...too funny.

Karin said...

Bahahaha...the Pinto...it brings back such fond memories. I never had one but my aunt did.

Girl...you and I are so alike. I actually LIKE driving in bad weather conditions for the sheer challenge of it. :) I have had to curtail some of that type of activity now that I am a responsible (ahem) mother of 10. But when they are gone and I am old---LOOK OUT WORLD! :)))))

Angela said...

My aunt had a pinto too. Orange, hatchback. It rocked. I thought she was so cool. As are you :)

Unknown said...

We had a red Pinto :)

Nancy said...

And living in the midwest. If you didn't drive, you'd be home all winter. I know. I live in Chicago.

Madeleine said...

LOL! You would do well in Jersey. We all THINK we are fantastic drivers, and everyone else on the road are idi*ts. :P

Needless to say, I think we are all horrible drivers, but...it is who we are.

But Chloe HAS told me that driving not in Jersey is something to behold, beyond anything we could imagine. Specially in 'weather conditions."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...