Monday, January 13, 2014

Multi-Grain Waffles {and Lori gets some me-time!}


How was your weekend, my friendly friends?  It was positively lovely here in the midwest.  The weather was superb!  It's quite amazing how very grateful you become of a sunny, semi-warm day after having endured single-digit temps.  Goodness, I'm thankful!

This is the first full week back into our regular routine after an extended Christmas break, which nearly killed me because I just need routine.  But mostly, I need a tad little bit of me-time, besides those brief moments in the bathroom, which, you know, doesn't really count at all since sitting on the potty draws people to you like a magnet to steel.  It's nonsense!

Anyway, I'm enjoying a very quiet house at the moment and it couldn't be more delightful!  I'm baking bread and getting ready to scoot myself into the bathroom to clean.  Which, by the way, is my most dreaded chore of housekeeping.  Give me a mountain of laundry any ol' day, I can handle that.  But I loathe cleaning bathrooms.  I loathe it so much.  (Somebody who loves cleaning bathrooms should move next door to me and I'll do your laundry and you can scrub my toilets, okay?)

Real quick, I want to share my multi-grain waffle recipe with you because they are just so darn delicious!  I made a giant batch yesterday and had gobs leftover for the freezer.  I love that with all my heart!





The night BEFORE, you need to soak 1 3/4 cup of multi-grain flour (I used wheat, spelt, barley, millet, and oat groats) (you can use all wheat if that's all you have, no problem!) mixed well with 1 3/4 cup of buttermilk (OR regular milk w/ 1 1/2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar).

This "soaking" process makes the grains so much more digestible!  If you have gluten issues, this will help!

(See?  This was late Saturday night, as you can tell by my robe.)


Let it set at room temperature over night.  Yes, that's right.  Room-temp.  It's fine!


The next morning you'll add 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, 2 eggs, 1/4 butter*.  Mix well.

Then, you just do the usual waffle-making thing!  Put it in the waffle iron, you know the drill.  I love my heart shaped iron so much!  We got it as a wedding present over 26 years ago.  It's still going strong!


Then you gobble them all up as fast as you can!

Or elegantly top them with your favorite toppings.  (This was mine.  Mmmmm!)


And if you TRIPLE the batch like I did, you'll end up with plenty leftover.


And you bag them up (I put wax paper sheets in between) and freeze them for quick-fix breakfasts!


It's as easy as that!  SO much better for you than store-bought.

Here's the recipe recap:

(I tripled the recipe to have lots leftover.)

MULTI-GRAIN WAFFLES

1 3/4 cup multi-grain flour (or whole-wheat is fine)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil (I used about half of each)
1 3/4 cup buttermilk (OR regular milk w/ 1 tablespoon vinegar)

Mix flour and buttermilk (or milk/vinegar) the night before.  Let it set in a covered bowl on the counter at room temp.

The next morning, add the rest of the ingredients; mix well!

Pour into hot waffle iron.

ENJOY!




(Recipe adapted from heavenly homemakers.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...