Monday, November 26, 2012

kansas crabby patties

Crab Cakes.
Or as I have affectionately renamed them,
Kansas Crabby Patties.
(It will all make sense to you in a little while, just hold on.)

This is one good recipe, folks.

Here's the lineup:
(I'm pretending to be PW)
(Recipe from Paula Dean.)
(Changed up a bit by your's truly.)

1 lb. crab meat* (I use the words crab and meat very loosely here.) 
1/3 cup Ritz crackers, crushed
3 green onions, finely chopped (missing)
1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup mayo
1 egg
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. spicy brown mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced (and zest)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Kosher salt
dash of cayenne
big dash of Cajun seasoning
Panko bread crumbs
Oil for frying

(All measurements are approximate!)
(I actually use a little extra of each ingredient.)
(And I sometimes add extra stuff, and omit stuff.)
(It's called, living life in the fast lane.)


Now.
Here's where Kansas comes into play:
The "crab meat".
For those of you who go down to the docks each morning to buy
your family fresh crab, don't read any further.
This will just upset you.
I suppose I could find fresh crab somewhere around here in the midwest,
but quite frankly,
I don't have the time, nor energy.
So here's what I get.
At Walmart, no less.
Blah!
 If you don't look directly at it,
it's not quite as scary.
Just kind of glance at it, briefly.
Then chop it up really fast without thinking about it.

It will be fine, I promise.


Get everything chopped, mixed, and into a bowl.
(See? That wasn't so bad!)


Then you gingerly form patties out of it,
then carefully cover your patties with the panko bread crumbs.


Then take a picture of your beautiful homemade hamburger buns
that you just pulled out of the oven.


(Sorry, I got distracted.)


Then once you have all your patties assembled & breaded up...


Put them in a frying pan of hot oil.


That terrifying crab meat doesn't look so bad now, does it?

Then you MUST make some dipping sauces.

First up,
Cocktail Sauce.
Positively NO reason to buy a bottle of this stuff, ya'll.
It's easy-peasy to make.
And way more delicious.

1/3 cup ketchup
2 tsp. prepared horseradish
2 tsp. lemon juice

Stir it all up.
Voila!  



Then,
Tartar Sauce.

Again, easy peasy.

1/2 cup mayo
1 Tbl. sweet pickle relish
2 Tbl. lemon juice
salt & pepper.

Ta-da!

I like them both so much!!

And this is where I show it all to you, plated up in a lovely way.
But, I didn't get that far with my picture-takin'.


I will tell you though that they were crispy, flavorful,
and so darn yummy!



My job here is done.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

ourchinagirls said...

My family loves "crabby" patties only I don't tell them that it is actually pink salmon I am using! I will have to try this recipe as we Kansan's like fish food!!

Tesseraemum said...

I'm totally salivating over here!

Your buns destracted me too !
They are so pretty how could you eat them?

I'm printing off your recipe so MARK can whip some up asap! Sheri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...