Saturday, October 6, 2012

i did it!!

So here's the thing.
Running is stupid.

Never once do we read that Jesus ran.
Not once.
Did he run on the water?
No he did not.
He walked, like a reasonable person.

Anyway, I did my 5k this morning.
But only because of peer pressure.


Here I am at home, pre-race.
Don't let my smile fool you,
I was desperately grumpy, looking for any excuse out.


Then I went to pick up my friend Mary,
who was cheery and excited.
She's adorable that way.

Then we parked on completely the opposite side of the park
(my bad), and had to walk literally about two miles
to get to where we needed to be.

Way beyond that lake there,
that was our destination.



And let it be known to all that it was freezing cold!
But we finally made it.
Here's Mary and me!



Then the race began.  I was so slow, ya'll.
Toddlers passed me.
Old people with walkers passed me.
A woman with an asthma inhaler strapped to her arm passed me.
Blah!
But I did it.  I finished!
(Yes, I walked some of it.)
Blah.

And here we are at the finish line!!
Woo hoo!

Mary, she's so gracious.
It would appear that we came to the finish line together...
but truth be told,
she had finished a good 7+ minutes ahead of me,
then ran back so we could run in together.
I love her!



I did it, I did it!!

Sweet relief.


Never again!!





Well, maybe.



A few more pics...





13 comments:

Connie J said...

I'm so proud of you!!!

Freedom Hollow Farmgirl said...

Whoo hoo, you'll be hooked on racing now. I foresee a half marathon in your future!

Nancy said...

Good for you Lori. My daughter wants me to run a 5K, but I am with you. We were not meant to run. However, my daughter is running the Chicago Marathon tomorrow on behalf of One Step which is a camp for kids with cancer. I will be in the freezing cold cheering her on.

Jenn said...

YAY!! Good job. Looks like a good cause too.

Tracey and Chuck said...

We too are in Chicago this weekend as my hubby is running the marathon tomorrow!!!! Great job today Lori!!! You did it and you should be very proud!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You rock!!!
Joy

Chris said...

Good job lady, You are right, I really do think running is mostly for people who did something bad...but I know a lot of people disagree with me.

Jean said...

YAY!! Friend YAY!!

I will never be doing that soooooo my new dream is that you will do it AND you did it! My life is complete!!

I just love your honesty!! So so glad I did not have to be that honest!!

By golly, I think we did it together!!

I don't remember you asking for sponsors????
Did I miss it??

Love your friend Mary!!

You go girl!!

Joanne Reddell said...

Lori, where was your River Run for Orphans?? We just had a River Run for Orphans in Durango on Sept 22 that my 7 year old granddaughter & I participated in. It's the same logo so obviously it's the same event. The event was founded in Durango 5 years ago and I know that it's expanded to other town - I just didn't know that it expanded as far away as Kansas!!

Karin said...

Hee! You know...next time someone guilts u into this you should call me. You and I can walk a 5k with Starbucks in hand. We can rant about the evils of liberalism and. Score you know it, the race will be over. And we will have walked off our Starbucks. It's a win-win.

Karin said...

Grrr. My autocorrect changed what I wrote. I didn't mean to say Score. I wrote Before. Urgh.

quilt'n-mama said...

Way to go!!! We are walking a 5K Saturday morning with friends for the virtual 5K for Little Flower:)Sad though... the closest Starbucks is 3 hours away!

Leighann said...

Just found you via the Blogger side bar.... love your humor. I ran a 5k pre-children (9 yrs ago maybe?) b/c a friend pressured me. I didn't really enjoy it and also spent the race passing then being passed by an elderly man... like seriously, he was at least in his late 60s. I was in my 20s. Really not funny at the time (or now, now that I think about it). I like your point that Jesus walked, not ran. I'm going to use that as my excuse from now on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...