Thursday, February 26, 2009

My 6 Minute Pitiful Workout

Today's post is dedicated to my blogger friend Nancy. Poor Nancy, who has been a faithful "follower" for a quite some time now, relies heavily on my daily posts and when I miss a day, according to her, it throws her entire day off. Ha!! Ok Nancy, just for you I'm going to try really hard to get back to my daily posts that I write in the wee hours of the morning so you can have a good day. :)


I am one of those weird people who really likes to workout...yep, I love to lift weights, run/walk, sweat, sweat, sweat!! HOWEVER, taking the time to do it is a whole different story. For years & years I worked out almost every day....it was just part of my routine. But some time around last March, I just quit. **sigh** I got so busy doing adoption things, getting ready to go to Ch*na & also sitting by my computer waiting for news about....anything new, that I put it on the back burner.


Well, being 40 and not near as active (oh and my eating habits have slipped too....sweets seem to scream for my attention and I eagerly oblige), my once fit body is shifting....and growing a bit (a lot). My jeans are mysteriously and uncomfortably tight....to the point where I have given up wearing them. I bought a few new pairs in a (gulp) bigger size (gulp, gulp). But mostly, I just like wearing sweat pants...they are much more forgiving (at least in how they feel).



But I get these flashback visions of being in the women's locker room of the gym and seeing things that no one should ever see.....saggy bottoms, blubbery this and that....I vowed then that I would never let my self go. But here I am. Gone. So I have started working out again...sorta. My time is not my own anymore...no longer can I linger at the gym, pushing myself to do one more set of squats. No longer can I compete with my own time on how fast I run a 5k. Now, with the little spare time that I have, I just want to get back a little bit of firmness I used to have and fit into a pair of pants without having to lay on the bed, tummy sucked in, trying to zip the dog-gone things up.

My pitiful little workout is as follows.....before jumping into the shower, I do some squats, lunges, and arm & ab work. Sadly, all of this only takes me about 6 minutes. Seriously sad...but it's all I can handle right now. In fact, my butt is so sore from my ferocious workout that just sitting on the potty leaves me grimacing with pain. My plan is that by the time summer rolls around my muscles will be a little more tolerant so I can do a real workout, plus I need to get myself on the dust-collector, I mean, treadmill.

Ok, enough about me. I found out last night that another little Chinese beauty at our church broke out into the chicken pox Monday....one day after she was at church with Lucy. So we shall see what happens! I opted not to get her vaccinated (yet). Perhaps she's already had them...I really don't know. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH, LORI. I LOVE YOU, Now I can get on to my daily chores.
Nancy

Jaime G. said...

man! i hate that pain that you feel during the most mundane things! after taking jax to the city museum, i was walking around like i had a peg leg because my left glute was all knotted up and also sitting and standing fromt he potty (or anything) was so unbearable comfortable.
i too need to start using our blanket collector (treadmill)... it's loaded down with blankets and pillows. ugh. need to get things firm before the 40s sneak up on me!

Live4him said...

OH lori you make me laugh!! This post actually reminds me i need to start running too! haha i'll start eventually and have u read brenden's story yet? I didn't realize he was such a talented writer =) Well see you soon
.:With Love:.
Emily

Holly said...

2 words: Wii Fit! I love it! I was doing it faithfully every day, but I am a busy mom too, so sometimes I do slip (this time it's been over a week I think.) But the differenct between this and my past workouts is that it is at home, and it is FUN, and I look forward to doing it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...