Saturday, May 10, 2008

Packing Part 1

Our snack suitcase! :)

Lucy's suitcase....99% packed!



I have labeled this entry "part 1" because packing to go to China for two weeks will no doubt be an ongoing process for the next 2+ weeks. I have been strategizing my packing for many months now since I have some specific concerns when it comes to hair & wardrobe. Though flying to China restrictions are reasonable but while flying in China there are several restrictions that I am extremely unhappy with but I have come to terms with the fact that I simply must abide by what this sovereign nation has implemented. First of all there are two main concerns that I must consider: 1. what if our luggage gets lost between the good 'ol US and China. I have planned to have my main necessities (hair gel, conditioner, hairspray, mascara..in that order) placed in two separate locations in our luggaging (is that a word?). I will carry the 3 oz. containers of each on the plane with me in my carry-on (where I can insure their safe-keeping). I will also have containers of each in my luggage. Whew. That should cover it. Now, the real problem begins with our flights in China, which brings me to #2. We are not allowed ANY liquids in our carry-on bags. Ok, well the biggest flaw with that is that our flights leave first thing in the morning and we have to check our luggage in the night before. No problem, you say, just shower the night before. No can do. The two problems with that are, 1. I simply cannot tolerate the least amount of greasy hair. I will be grumpy, cranky & downright mean if I don’t' feel fresh & clean. Anything less could result in me being left behind by my fellow travelers unable to put up with my "bad attitude" (whatever!). So, I must figure out a way to get a glob of each of the above mentioned liquids to save for my morning primping. The mascara will be a problem...ok; I will do without that since that does not contribute to my feeling clean. But the minute I get off the plane, I will curl, lengthen & enhance my lashes. Ok, 2. IF I did opt to shower & get ready the night before, if there is the least amount of humidity in the air while sleeping, my hair will be completely unmanageable (and unrecognizable as a human mane) and the attitude I mentioned earlier will be even more ungodly than the greasy-feeling-attitude.

As for my testosterone-filled fellow sojourners, their only packing strategy so far is their grand scheme to save space by making one pair of underwear last 5 days. Day 1, wear the traditional way (surely I don't need to explain), Day 2, wear underwear backwards, Day 3, wear underwear inside out, Day 4, inside-out & backwards...Day 5,...I can't remember & am frightened to ask, but I'm thinking it's commando. Ok, underwear doesn't take up much space, as for me, I am taking a two-week supply, thank you very much.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...