Saturday, January 4, 2014

How to Make Really Yummy Granola



I love granola.  And granola really loves me.  It's quite easy to make, take a look and see!

(The rhyming will stop now.  You're welcome.)

And here's my very favorite recipe:
(My photos show a double recipe, so ignore that and don't let it confuse you.)


Coconut Granola

Slowly melt one stick of unsalted butter, 2/3 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup honey.  Once melted and smooth, remove from heat and add 2 tsp. vanilla extract.



While that's melting, let's mix up the dry ingredients!

You'll need 4 cups of rolled oats (mix in some barley, if you want).

I roll my own, but if that's not the way you roll, that's cool too.




Old-fashion oats are perfect fine and totally acceptable, no problem!
And I always add in 1/4 cup millet, just for fun.  Because what's not fun about millet?
Also add:
3/4 cup raw chopped cashews, 3/4 cup chopped (or slivered almonds), 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (I've used sweetened also and it works out just fine!), 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon.



Mix all that deliciousness together, then add the melted butter/sugar/honey/vanilla mixture.  Stir well, making sure that all the oats and nuts are coated.



Spread mixture onto a large, buttered cookie sheet.




Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven, stir granola & put back in oven for 15 minutes.
Stir one more time, then bake for just 10 minutes.

Remove the golden goodness and let cool!




Once it's completely cool, break it all up and put it in an airtight container.
Then sit back and see how long it takes to disappear!



Recipe Recap:

GRANOLA!

1 stick unsalted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. vanilla

Put all that in a pan and warm it slowly on the stove while you mix up the dry ingredients (add the vanilla after butter is melted & sugar is dissolved).

Mix together:

4 cups oats (and other rolled grain, if you want.  I use barley.)
1/4 millet, optional
3/4 cup raw cashews, chopped
3/4 cup almonds, chopped
1 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Pour warm, melted butter mixture into bowl of dry ingredients, blend well.   Spread mixture onto buttered cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes on 325 degrees.  Remove from oven and stir granola.  Bake for 15 more minutes, stir.  Bake 10 more minutes (or until golden brown).  Let cool.  ENJOY!





(Recipe adapted from here.)




3 comments:

Shonni said...

This sounds so good! I must try this soon.

Chris said...

I'll have to try the add-ons. I think my recipe is basically the same,b ut I bake mine for 10 min, stir, turn off the oven and let it in overnight...it is perfect every time! I used to always under bake or overbake...or forget the timer...you know...

Sally-Girl! said...

Yummy, especially with raw honey!! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...