Tuesday, June 26, 2012

popcorn bars!

(My apologies for the dual-font.
I have no idea why it does that.)



First of all,
you guys totally cracked me up
with your comments on my house-cleaning post.

I am glad I am not alone
in this chaotic mess we warmly call, motherhood.

And I also appreciate those of you
who boldly told me of your ability to keep
your house running smoothly at all times.
You annoy and inspire me.
And I love you.



So in my efforts to do a million things,
and not one single one of them done well,
I tried a new recipe yesterday.

Popcorn Snack Bars!

My picture is less than appealing, I suppose.
I've yet to hone my photography skills.
It's #4,239 on my list of things to do.
So for now,
just enjoy my fair-mediocre photo.
(Email me privately to book me for your weddings portraits)



The original recipe is HERE.


I trimmed it down a bit with fewer ingredients.
And they turned out wonderfully!



Here's what I did:


8 Cups plain popped popcorn
2 Cups rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 Cup dried cranberries
3/4 Cup salted, roasted almonds (coarsely chopped)
3/4 Cup honey
3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt


Mix the first four ingredients together in
a big bowl.

In a saucepan,
add honey, brown sugar & salt.
Bring to a slight boil & stir until sugar is dissolved.

Pour popcorn ingredients onto a greased
9x13 pan (or a larger pan for skinnier bars).
Pour honey mixture over & mix it all up,
covering all the popcorn, the best you can.

Put in fridge for 30 minutes.
Then take out of fridge and cut into bars.

It's rather sticky.
But it tastes soooo good!

Crunchy.
Salty.
Sweet.

I think next time I'll add a little butter to the
honey mixture...and perhaps make them
into balls instead of bars.

Get creative and make them your own!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yum! We are on the road to Canada... I will make them for the drive home. I'm always on the prowl for yummy, healthy snacks for the car.
Blessings,
Rebecca

Kathryn said...

YUM!!! And thank you for making me laugh.....you're my daily dose!

Connie J said...

oh, i'm going to try these today! i know at least half my krew will love them. thanks for giving me a shot at a 'hero' badge today :)

quilt'n-mama said...

YUMMY!!!!
I have a popcorn snack mix similar to this but I love the idea of them being bars:) We'll have to try them out this week:)

I didn't get the chance to comment on your house cleaning post- but my laundry room looks worse than yours right now. UGH! Oh well, 2 days to get it up to shape because we have company coming for 4 days and the occupant # in our house will go from 7 to 13... if I don't get the laundry mountain removed I am afraid we might loose a child in there:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...